Thursday 27 January 2011

Mary Portas, Customer Service, Banks

It's been a while since I last posted. That sounds very familiar.

Quickly brushing past that, I wanted to talk about Mary Portas' new C4 program on customer service. I am a great believer in us Brit's beginning to complain to get what we want (within reason). We aren't a nation to stick up for what we believe in and are a lot of the time terribly embarrassed by... almost anything.

I am not afraid to complain, especially when my customer rights have been breached. Take my most recent encounter with Santander, the bank which turned sour (for me anyway) when they changed from Abbey and 'went big'.

When I started University in Bristol 4 and a half years ago, I asked them to send my new debit card to my local branch in Clifton to collect rather than being sent to my parents address. After which, I asked them to change it back to my home address for the next card. My debit card is expiring next month, so in November I went into the branch to ensure the new card was being sent home. 'Yes sir, your card is definitely being sent home to your home address'. Job done... so I thought.

January arrives and I get a letter from Santander informing me the card is being sent to 'my local branch in Clifton'. I immediately phoned Santander explaining the situation and that I didn't want to travel to get my card. They said they could cancel the card in Clifton and issue me with a new one sent to my home address. Great! Only have to wait 7-10 days, but still great.

After 10 days and being sent TWO pin numbers in the post, I then get a letter saying my card is ready for collection... in Clifton!

I'd had enough. I phoned Santander, apologising to the customer service assistant and preparing her for an earful I was about to give her. I should also mention that in the confusion, they also cancelled my current card so I can't use the card I currently have!

I asked her for compensation, not expecting anything. Anyway she bit! She asked what I was looking for? I told her I wanted to eliminate the problem by me driving to Bristol to collect the bloody card, helping Santander and me!

Asking for £20 for petrol, which wasn't greedy and would've just covered my costs. She authorised it. I was in shock. I didn't complain exactly, I told her firmly but politely that I'd had enough.

The reason I'm telling you this is that you shouldn't be afraid to ask for what you want. Bank's are hard to get away from. You can't just 'shut your wallet and walk out' like Mary Portas recommends. But it shows that you the customer can win, if you go about it the right way.

'til next time, tweetme.

@davidoff20

No comments:

Post a Comment